16 May 2010

Can Britons tell new Prime Minister and his Deputy apart?

Can Britons tell new Prime Minister and his Deputy apart?

They are the same age, have the same accents and even sport the same smile - so can Britons correctly identify David Cameron and and his deputy Nick Clegg?

 
1 of 6 Images
Cameron or Clegg? Clegg or Cameron? Can anyone spot the 
difference?
Cameron or Clegg? Clegg or Cameron? Can anyone spot the difference?
All of a sudden, the pair seem to have the same harmonious take on how best to fix Broken Britain.
Indeed, at a glance, it is becoming increasingly difficult to tell Messieurs Cameron and Clegg apart.
According to a survey by this newspaper, the public, it seems, are none the wiser as to the true identities of the new Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister.
Armed with a photograph of this Conservative/Liberal Democrat entanglement in the form of a digitally modified photograph combining the features of both men, The Sunday Telegraph took to the streets to see whether anyone could spot the difference.
Katrina Chapman, 45, a part-time teaching assistant from Kennington, south London. Mrs Chapman identified the photograph as David Cameron.
"That's definitely David Cameron."
When told it was a photo of both: "It still looks more like Cameron, but then they are pretty similar aren't they?
"I voted Labour and I don't think the coalition will work. I think Cameron and Clegg are merging personalities. They've both got the same background, they wear the same suits, they've got the same wives, they both look clean-cut and happy and both have their nice big houses. What's the difference?"
Paul Rieger, 38, a market research executive from Maidstone, Kent. Mr Rieger identified the photograph as Nick Clegg.
"That's Cleggy."
When told it was a photo of both: "Is it? No way. You couldn't tell. This coalition thing is getting more frightening by the minute. I still think it looks more Clegg than Cameron. The hair and the shape of the face is Clegg.
"I voted Lib Dem to try and oust the Tories in my constituency, which was a lost cause. I'm happy with the coalition, in as much as I couldn't see any other alternative outcome that made any sense. I'm pragmatic and optimistic about it. Perhaps true consensus politics might start happening.
"I think Cameron and Clegg's identities have been watered down, but that's an inevitable result of them trying to work together to make the coalition successful."
Seema Vekaria, 25, an optometrist from south Hampstead in north London. Miss Vekaria correctly identified the photograph as both Cameron and Clegg.
"Is that some kind of weird Clegg Cameron mix? The face looks older than Clegg does. It's more like Cameron with those wrinkles – he definitely looks older than Clegg.
"I went to go and vote Lib Dem, but I got to the polling station a bit too late and so couldn't vote. I think the coalition is the lesser of two evils. I was going to vote Lib Dem because my parents vote Tory, and they are just so straight-headed and can't think outside the box. I think the Lib Dems have different ideas on tax and better policies for working people.
"Both men are going to have to give in on some issues and tone down their identities. But I do think it's a bit strange that during the debates, all three leaders were so against each other, and now Cameron and Clegg are one big happy family who can suddenly work together."
Rachel Mcquade, 20, a student from Manchester. Miss Mcquade identified the photograph as David Cameron.
"That's David Cameron. It's the big forehead that makes him recognisable."
When told it was a photo of both: "You'd never know because they are so similar anyway.
"I was going to vote Conservative, but then I went on the Telegraph website and did the online questionnaire on whether you agreed or disagreed with the parties policies, and I decided to vote Lib Dem. I preferred things like their ideas on benefits for people who don't work and for full-time mothers. They just seemed to have fairer policies on benefits.
"The coalition is really positive because it will reflect a variety of views. But I don't think Nick Clegg is being true to himself. He's only doing it because he said he'd support the party with the most number of votes during the campaign, so now he's got no choice."
Raymond Veal, 56, works for VisitBritain, from the Wirral, Merseyside. Mr Veal correctly identified the photograph as both Cameron and Clegg.
"The hair and the eyes look like Clegg's and the lower part of the face looks like Cameron.
"I voted Conservative, though I'm not a lifelong Conservative voter. But I felt that it was the appropriate vote given the current economic circumstances, which called for a change in approach. At the moment, the two men and their policies are being blurred. But I think it will soon become much more apparent that differences do exist, especially in the forthcoming by-election [in Thirsk and Malton, North Yorkshire].
"If anything, Cameron's identity is emerging the more strongly, as commentators suggest that he has played his cards very well and has outmanoeuvred Clegg. It seems as if Clegg has got Cameron exactly where Cameron wanted to be."
Jackie Sambrook, 49, an administration supervisor from Carshalton, Surrey. Mrs Sambrook identified the photograph as David Cameron.
"It's his eyes, definitely, he's got distinctive eyes."
When told it was a photo of both: "Now you've said it, I can't really identify it as one or the other, although I still think it looks more like David Cameron than Nick Clegg. Right up until the last minute, I was going to vote for Nick Clegg, but in the end, I voted Conservative, which I've never done in my life. I was sick and tired of Labour, but I knew that voting for Clegg wouldn't get us anywhere.
"Given the choice, they had to merge to get rid of the Labour party and they couldn't really stick to their guns. I don't think they really want to work together, they just both want to be in power."

No comments: