10 June 2010

Angry father catches drug dealer in street









 Charlie Skinner of Kennington and wife Sian
Citizen’s arrest: property developer Charlie Skinner of Kennington and wife Sian

Angry father catches drug dealer in street

Felix Allen
08.06.10

A father-of-three who waged a war against a notorious drug dealer who set up shop in his neighbourhood today won his battle as the culprit was jailed for six years.
Property developer Charlie Skinner eventually caught Xiao-Po He after getting into the dealer's flat pretending to be a customer.
After being rumbled he fought off an attack by two of He's henchmen before chasing the dealer down the street, wrestling him to the ground and holding him in a headlock until police arrived.
The 47-year-old took the law into his hands after becoming enraged with a “constant stream” of drug addicts turning up at all hours of the day to buy cocaine and crystal meth in his Kennington street.
As He, 26, was jailed at Inner London crown court, the man who apprehended him told the Standard he had not given a thought to his own safety.
Mr Skinner, who lives in Kennington with wife Sian, daughters Florence, 12, Maisie, 11, and son Teddy, nine, said he had contacted police over his concerns and was advised to keep a log of comings and goings from the flat.
He said: “I thought, what a waste of time'. I wasn't going to stand for it happening on our doorstep.
“I followed some customers up to the door and when it opened I slipped in behind them. I didn't really know what to expect inside but there were quite a few people in the hallway having some sort of argument.
“I had a bit of an altercation with the two guys at the door who wanted to know who I was — they tried to fight me so I hit one of them and ran back to my house to call the police.
“Then my wife saw him [the dealer] leaving in a hurry and I thought, I'm not having that'. I chased after him, wrestled him to the floor and performed a citizen's arrest. I was just so angry I didn't feel any fear. I'm a south London boy and I can look after myself.”
An off-duty policeman arrested He after finding drugs in his pockets. More illegal substances were discovered at the flat in March this year.
The illegal immigrant was already on bail after being caught with a stash of drugs worth more than £12,000 plus £4,300 in cash in a raid on another flat in Camberwell last November.
Judge Mark Bishop awarded Mr Skinner £100 for his pivotal role in taking the dealer off the streets.
His proud wife Sian, 44, a legal adviser, said: “It was pretty amazing what Charlie did, but he's like that. He's not shy to let people know what he thinks of them. I think more people should be like he is."
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23842414-angry-father-catches-drug-dealer-in-street.do

No comments: