24 May 2016

Cozier: A man who had time for me - Columns - JamaicaObserver.com

Cozier: A man who had time for me - Columns - JamaicaObserver.com
... Deep down, I think Tony empathised with me, because, I mirrored in a sense, his own situation. There was West Indies cricket, whose identity, power and glory, were being paraded by mostly black men. It was never said, but I know he sensed it. Why shouldn’t it be a black man who is carrying the West Indies game to all the corners of the earth? In his commentary and writing, Tony had to answer that question every time he sat before a microphone or put pen to paper. He answered it with spot-on analysis, and spot-on critique. He refused to give his detractors any loopholes. In his mind, West Indies cricket belonged as much to him – a white Bajan, as it did to the thousands of black Caribbean fans who flocked to Kennington Oval and to Kensington Oval. I saw his gaining acceptance, as a struggle similar to mine. And because he helped me to fight my battle, I considered him my friend.   ...

No comments: